Opus Inspection signs agreement to acquire Drew Technologies
Opus Inspection, Inc. has signed a share purchase agreement to acquire Drew Technologies Inc, a leading manufacturer of vehicle communication analysis and diagnostic equipment for the vehicle inspection and automotive service industry. The purchase price is USD 30 million plus a contingent earn-out of 4.4 million. The transaction is expected to close within the next 30 days.
- Opus Inspection, Inc. (Opus Inspection), a subsidiary of Opus Group AB (publ) (Opus Group), has signed an agreement to acquire Drew Technologies, Inc., (Drew Tech) for a purchase price of USD 30 million on a debt free basis plus a contingent earn-out of USD 4.4 million. The acquisition includes a cash balance of approximately USD 400,000. Hence, the acquired business excluding cash is valued at approximately USD 29.6 million.
- After the acquisition, Drew Tech will become a subsidiary of Opus Inspection. However, the company will continue to operate as a stand-alone legal entity with the current management in place.
- Drew Tech is a leading manufacturer of On Board Diagnostic (OBD) equipment for the vehicle inspection industry and for the OEM automotive industry. Drew Tech offers tools for vehicle development, end‑of-line testing, vehicle diagnostics and vehicle inspection programs.
- In 2014, Drew Tech had revenues of approximately USD 13 million with EBITDA of USD 4 million. In 2014, Drew Tech had sales to Opus Inspection of approximately USD 2.2 million.
- The transaction is financed through USD 25 million in cash, USD 5 millionin a directed issue in kind to the sellers of Drew Tech and USD 4.4 million in earn-out over five years. The transaction is expected to contribute to net profit per share for Opus Group beginning in March 2015.
“We are excited about the acquisition of Drew Tech, a leading technology company focused on vehicle communication. The company has a leading position in the OBD scan tool and data logger market and a bright future ahead of itself. Drew Tech will continue to operate stand alone and focus on its strong customer relationships. Short and mid-term we see a great strategic fit between both Drew Tech and Opus Inspection as vehicle communication will become a significant portion of vehicle inspection programs” said Lothar Geilen, CEO of Opus Inspection. “Their technical expertise in OBD technology is the company’s leading strength. I especially want to express a warm welcome to the Drew Tech employees, who have been instrumental in the company’s ongoing success.” Geilen continued.
Background and reasons for the Acquisition
Drew Tech, founded in 1996 and headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, has developed into a leading supplier of OBD equipment for vehicle communication analysis and diagnostics systems for automobile manufacturers, workshops, automotive dealerships and inspection stations worldwide. All product development, design and final production take place in Ann Arbor. The company is at the forefront with its latest OBD technology that is used to inspect vehicles for both emission and safety vehicle inspection.
The acquisition means that Opus Inspection controls market leading OBD technology it intends to use in several markets. This technology is of great importance for the future global product and service offering of Opus Inspection, including in the U.S. vehicle inspection markets.
The Acquisition in brief
Opus Inspection has entered into a share purchase agreement to acquire Drew Tech. The purchase price amounts to USD 30 million plus a contingent earn-out of USD 4.4 million, a cash balance of approximately USD 400,000, depending on adjustment for working capital at the closing date of the acquisition. The company will be acquired on a debt-free basis. The purchase price excluding cash amounts to approximately USD 29.6 million. Closing is expected to take place within the next 30 days. The acquisition includes customary representations and warranties by the sellers.
Drew Tech financials in brief
Drew Tech had revenues of approximately USD 13 million in 2014 with an operating profit before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) of USD 5.4 million. Drew Tech has had a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of about 29 percent over the past seven years with good profitability. In 2014, Drew Tech had sales to Opus Inspection of approximately USD 2.2 million. The transaction is expected to contribute to Opus Group’s net profit per share beginning in March 2015.
Financing of the Acquisition
The transaction is financed through USD 25 million in Opus Group’s existing cash, USD 5 million in a directed issue in kind to the sellers of Drew Tech and USD 4.4 million in earn-out to be paid out over five years. The price of the shares of the directed issue in kind is based on the average closing share price of Opus Group during 15 trading days preceding signing of the share purchase agreement.
For more information about Drew Tech please visit www.drewtech.com/; and for Opus Inspection, please visit www.opusinspection.com.
Vinge Advokatbyrå in Sweden and Ellis & Winters LLP in the U.S. act as legal advisers to Opus Group.